Monday, January 20, 2020
The ministry of Interior and Coordination released a 10 point plan for 2020/21 to accelerate performance improvement in the provision of security.
Among them is to rationalize issuance of digital driver’s licence through NTSA & phase out the current manual booklet by 31 December 2020.
The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) which launched a new smart Kenyan driving license has announced that Kenyan drivers who have the manual booklet license should apply for the smart Kenyan driving license by July 1st 2020.
The smart driving license has a secure computer chip containing the driver’s information such as the driver’s blood group and ID number. The license captures important information among then your driving history, personal details, blood group and bio metrics.
An application fee of Ksh.3050 is charge and payment is made through Paybill No 206206. The account number is automatically generated by the system to help you complete the transaction.
The Smart driving license has a point system which will be used to reward or punish drivers based on their behavior on the road and note different offences will have different levels of penalties
One can easily apply for a new Smart Driving License also known as Digital Driving License through the NTSA TIM’S .
TIMS is a very important account as it helps you carry out services such as, Motor vehicle search, Log book transfer, Booking inspection among other services. You will also need this account to renew your Smart driving license. A smart Driving license expires after every 3 years
Before you get to this process you must first create a TIM’S Account with NTSA.
TIM’S Account Creation Requirements
For one to create a TIM’S account, the following details are required.
NTSA TIMS Signing Up Process
If browsing the TIMS page for the first time, first of all should create an account to access the other services. Here is how to go about it
– Click the register an account link. You will be directed to the eRegister an account page where agents, dealers, companies, and financial institutions registere on the platform.
– To sign up as a personal user, click on the individual category
– You will be asked to put your ID serial No.
– Key in your Pin number
– Key in your mother’s maiden name
– Key in your phone number and profession
– Solicit for a verification code by clicking on the button which is next to the mobile number
– Key in the code which you get in the verification tab to finish the procedure of verification
When you complete the above steps, you will be fully registered on the TIMS platform. Go back to the home page tims.ntsa.go.ke and sign in.
Once you complete the NTSA TIMS account registration process, you can enjoy services on the NTSA TIMS portal such as;
– Vehicle Registration
– Transfer of automobile ownership
– Online car search
– Car inspection
– Reflective number plate application
– Duplicate logbook application
The on-the-web availability of these solutions has empowered Kenyans and improved their lives by saving them time that would be spent visiting the respective offices and queuing for several hours.