One staff is confirmed dead, and several others are admitted in a suspected food poisoning at Royal Media Services Headquarters.
According to reports from Kisasa News the incident happened after the media house staff consumed food from a buffet prepared by a hired catering firm over Christmas festivities.
“It was a buffet, ya Christmas Shift. A contracted catering firm brought food. Difficult to know which food really had the contamination,” said the source.
RMS Group Managing Director Wachira Waruru confirmed the incident saying a significant number of staff working over the Christmas shift were affected.
“On Boxing Day December 26, 2022, some of the staff complained of severe stomach pains after consuming meals served within the premises of the company,” Waruru said.
“We are deeply shocked and saddened to inform the public that one staff member has unfortunately succumbed to the illness attributed to suspected food poisoning. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our deceased staff member during this difficult time.”
He added that the company is providing all the necessary support to the affected staff and the suspected food poisoning incident is currently under investigation.
A female cleaner at Citizen TV has died while several other staff members are hospitalised after suffering food poisoning.
A source who spoke to Kisasa news on Tuesday afternoon said that at least five employees are currently in hospital over food poisoning
The employees working on the Christmas shift developed stomach complications after consuming food delivered at the the office.
A catering company has been supplying food to staff at the media firm since Christmas Day.
The catering company is said to have supplied food to employees including on Tuesday.
A Senior reporter is among those admitted to the hospital.
Many of those who took the meals complained of stomach upset.
“I took the meal on Christmas Day and I experienced a stomachache. Mine was not severe,” an employee who sought anonymity told Kisasa News.
The company is said to be on crisis mode and the management is reaching out to each and every employee who was on the Christmas shift to confirm their health status.
Those contacted by senior management were instructed to visit nearby health facilities for medical check up.
Most of those with severe conditions are said to have consumed the food for most of the days it was supplied.