▪ The family says speed at which Omondi’s death related to heart attack spreads, yet a postmortem hadn’t been done to ascertain the allegation is suspicious
▪ Nominated Senator Isaac Mwaura said that he suspects that someone was behind the death of Omondi, given “he was committed to the fight against graft and self-centered leadership”.
The family of the Late Kahawa Wendani MCA, Cyrus Omondi, is appealing to the Kenyan Government to investigate the cause of ward rep’s death.
Speaking to a local media at Omondi’s Kahawa Wendani home in Ruiru Sub-County, the late Omondi’s younger brother, Stephen Odhiambo, said they don’t believe a heart attack theory because they have never had a history of heart-related diseases, and, therefore, the allegation that Omondi succumbed to a heart attack on Wednesday, February 12, should be subjected to a probe.
The family says speed at which Omondi’s death is related to heart attack spreads, yet a postmortem hadn’t been done to ascertain the allegation is suspicious.
- “We have been told that his body is in Mumbai, India. A family representative should fly to India and take part in transporting his remains back to Kenya. A comprehensive postmortem examination should be conducted to establish the exact cause of my brother’s death,” Odhiambo said
“Our appeal to the Government of Kenya is that a thorough probe into his death be conducted. It would be remembered that Cyrus was dedicated to the Jubilee administration,” added the MCA’s brother
A family friend, Rose Karimi concurred with the family’s views that even after news broke of Omondi’s death on Wednesday evening, they are yet to receive a doctor’s report confirming that the MCA lost his life following a heart attack.
- “We are yet to receive concrete information on what caused his death. The State should ensure investigations into Omondi’s death are conducted,” said Karimi.
Nominated Senator Isaac Mwaura said that he suspects that someone was behind the death of Omondi, given “he was committed to the fight against graft and self-centered leadership”.
Ruiru MP Simon King’ara eulogised Omondi as a “development-oriented leader who prioritised the welfare of the people he represented”
MCA from Kiambu County, Simon Kuria Wakarema, who represents Theta Ward, said Omondi was among MCAs in the Education Committee, who attended a workshop in India recently.
- “After they broke news of Omondi’s death, all the MCAs in the Education Committee, switched off their cell phones, and none of us (in Kenya) could reach them,” said Kuria
Cyrus Omondi who hails from Siaya County clinched the Kahawa Wendani county assembly seat in 2017 on a Jubilee party ticket in the August 8, 2017 general election after two previous failed attempts due to earlier political outfit ODM party that proved too hard to sell in what was perceived as a Jubilee heartland due to the high population of members of the Kikuyu ethnic group.
- “They often told me that I was a good leader, but the party that sponsored my candidature wasn’t popular in Kiambu County. That was why I shifted camps to Jubilee [ahead of the August 8, 2017 general election],” Omondi during an interview with a local media on April 26, 2017.
Omondi trounced his competitors in the Jubilee Party primaries held on April 21, 2017, and went ahead to emerge victorious in the general election nearly four months later.
- “I am the first candidate of Luo descent to be elected as a leader in Kiambu County,” he said.
The late Omondi had observed that his close interaction with the constituents of Kahawa Wendani endeared him to the electorate.
His mother used to sellfish to Kahawa Wendani residents for at least 20 years.
- “This is our son who has always taken care of everybody regardless their age,” said one resident.
After winning the party primaries on April 21, 2017, Omondi said empowering the youth would be his key agenda should he proceed to clinch the MCA seat, which he did.
Earlier in the day, Residents of Kahawa Wendani demonstrated the loss of their MCA Cyrus Omondi. (Gearbox) along Thika Superhighway
Deportivo Kahawa’s fraternity has suffered a great loss of their Patron the late Hon. Cyrus Omondi.
President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy Dr William Ruto have sent their condolences to the family through their social media